Many people think that an old battery must be discarded and replaced with a brand-new one. While this is the only solution for those people, there is another way of getting a fully functional battery and save money; that is reconditioning the battery. Learning how to recondition batteries is the solution to reviving old batteries to new again when they stop working. A reconditioned battery will work just like a new one.
There is a common misunderstanding among many people in regards to recharging and reconditioning for being identical. The truth is that recharging a battery will only give it a charge for a period. However, battery reconditioning involves restoring the battery to its full capacity. Reconditioning batteries is a very simple procedure, and any person can do it perfectly. Just imagine how much money everyone can save by learning how to recondition batteries.
You will need some time and a few gadgets and items, but at the end, you will be able to get an entirely new battery. Your old, refurbished battery will have the same capacity and the same features as a brand new unit. We will discuss the steps to follow when reconditioning a car and a laptop battery in the paragraphs that follow. Pay attention to all the details, and learn.
Quick Tips to Recondition your Devices Battery at Home
We’ve all noticed it, whether we got our devices when they were new, or from some guy on craigslist, every year the battery life seems to get shorter and shorter. Over time, through the repeated charging and discharging cycles we subject our devices to, these batteries lose their ability to store electrons.
This explains why a MacBook you purchased 4 years ago may only last half as long as it used to on battery power, and why when we upgrade our electronics we perceive an even bigger boost in battery life than the “new” technology’s promise to provide.
Today we will cover how to recondition batteries at home, a simple step that can easily save you time and money in the long run, and make using your old devices enjoyable again.
Although we can’t stop the process of our batteries gradually dying each day, here are 5 quick tips on how to recondition batteries at home, and slow down, or even reverse the effects aging has on your batteries!
- Many people believe in fully discharging their batteries, or have a ritual of unplugging their devices immediately when they reach 100% charge. Studies have show that this does not in fact have any benefit to the life of the battery itself, as most devices are built with smart charging circuits which cut the flow of electricity when our batteries become fully charge. There was however a noticeable increase in battery life when devices were plugged in before reaching 70% battery life. So if you want your devices to keep on ticking, for a lot longer than you’re used to, plug them in before they reach the 70% mark, and keep them charged up!
- We all know that different programs use different amounts of energy when run. For instance, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro will kill your battery a whole lot faster than Safari or Notepad might. Often times we have programs running in the background, programs that are not particularly useful to us at that point in time, that are killing our battery life. To diagnose this, simply open up the activity monitor on your operating system to see what is using the most battery life on your computer.
- With how “smart” our smart devices have become in recent years, its often hard to believe that they can become “confused” when it comes to battery life, but this is an unfortunate reality. Often times our devices won’t be calibrated to accurately read out our true battery percentages, resulting in lacklustre battery predictions and reduced performance by our phones and laptops. To remedy this, simply discharge your device completely, until it shuts off. Once it shuts off, leave it for a full 24 hours in order to fully drain the battery. Once it is discharged, just plug it back in and charge it up to 100%. This will recalibrate your devices battery, and have you managing your battery power like a champ in no time!
- Another quick fix to number 3, above, is to reset your devices settings (on mobile) or to restore your device completely (Laptop / Mobile). This will also recalibrate and refresh your device. It also has the added benefit of removing any adware, or spyware that may be draining your battery.
- If all else fails, and your battery is on the ropes, you can try to recondition your batteries at home following step by step the battery reconditioning process. Reconditioning your devices battery is a lot easier than you might think. With older, lead acid batteries (the kind you find in your car) the process of reconditioning your batteries at home is long and gruelling work. With the introduction of lithium ion (or any variation thereof) batteries, the process of reconditioning is as easy as recalibrating your battery! Simply follow the steps in tip 3 or 4 (depending on your device) and your device should automatically begin reconditioning your battery to work optimally in the condition it is in. The slight adjustment of recalibrating will over time recondition your battery, and offer you the best performance you can get out of your battery in its current condition.
Now that you know how to recondition batteries at home, go out there and get your moneys worth! These quick tips are sure to give you the boost you need to get more done throughout the day, and to add value back into your devices.
What Types of Batteries Can You Successfully Recondition Yourself?
All types of batteries can be successfully reconditioned, from deep cycle/gel types to the usual 12V car battery. Even the newest car batteries available can be restored via standard lead acid battery reconditioning techniques.
It is worth investing a little time to better understand the various battery types out there and how they are best handled to improve battery life to give you valuable background info before you take the next step of reconditioning.
The most basic method for extending the life of your battery is to place it overnight in your freezer before recharging it the next day.
This is a simple process that requires conditioning the battery by placing it in the freezer for three nights and using a charger during the day each time.
The ability to recondition batteries has led to a business for many entrepreneurs who sell reconditioned batteries that have been refrigerated and are ready to charge when you take them home. Special chargers are available for this purpose.
The first condition is the type of battery to be reconditioned. A lead acid battery is used in cars and this is perhaps the easiest to recondition. It’s well known that a solution of Epsom salts can remove the build up that can keep a car battery from performing.
Nicad (or Ni-Cd) batteries are the rechargeable batteries you may have purchased. These are easy to recondition. If you have NiCad batteries, try reconditioning them as they’ll keep a charge almost as long as when the battery was brand new.
How to Recondition Batteries? Is it Possible?
Most people believe that an old battery must be thrown away and replaced with a new one. While this is the only solution for those people, there is another way you can save money and get a 100% functional battery. It’s time to talk about how to recondition batteries (Yes, your reconditioned batteries will work like a new one and you can even sell it) . Read on
You must know that reconditioning batteries is very simple procedure and every single person can do it. You are going to need a bit of time and a few gadgets and items, but you will be able to get a completely new battery. This means that your old, refurbished battery will have the same capacity and the same features as a brand new unit.
If you want to know how to recondition batteries , almost all types of them, pay attention to all the details mentioned below.
Beside you will get a new battery, you will save money and you won’t cause pollution (1). By doing this, we can reduce the impact old batteries have on the environment for 50%. As the end result, the planet will be healthier and you won’t have to pay a huge amount of money for a brand new battery, simply because they are very expensive.
How to Recondition a Car Battery
Car batteries are expensive components in your car. A good thing is the fact you can recondition them and end up with a new battery. The main fact you should know is that a reconditioning battery will have up to 70% of the power of a brand new unit, but this is more than your car needs. All you need to do is to follow these simple steps.
You will need: distilled water, voltmeter, battery charger and syringe.
- Remove the battery and remove the rubber that protects the caps. Then, remove the caps as well. Some batteries may have 6-7 caps, but some may have more or less. It is mandatory to remove all of them.
- Fill a battery with the distilled water and recharge it. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t put the caps back. Place the battery on a charger and charge it for one hour.You should see bubbles on the holes.
- You can also try to replace the acid inside a battery and mix a new acid with the distilled water. Then, recharge the battery for a few hours. In any case, you will get a new battery that can last for a long time.
Recondition NiCad Batteries
You should know that NiCad batteries can be reconditioned as well. However, first you should know why they get damaged. This happens, due to the sulfur crystals that eventually reach both terminals and it prevents charging. This can be solved, so your batteries will last for a long time. In addition, the procedure is more than just simple.
- You are going to need the flash camera capacitor. There are a lot of cheap cameras of this type that you can disassemble and use their parts. You will know what a capacitor is, due to the fact it is a big cylinder part.
- Add a battery holder and a switch to the capacitor. Stick the wires to the big black cylinder and connect them with the battery holder and a switch.
- Make sure all wires are insulated and they don’t touch anything that can conduct electricity.
- Place an alkaline battery into the capacitor and the NiCad battery into the holder you added before.
- Then, press the switch and wait the LED to glow. Then repeat the step. Keep in mind that you should hear a sound, that’s meansthat the sulfur crystals are destroyed and your battery can be used again.
Once you make this ‘’gadget’’ you can use it for reconditioning NiCad batteries for ever. It may sound complicated, but it is very simple, and you cannot make a mistake. In addition, it is possible to buy a capacitor for this application, but it is too much expensive and it won’t do the job better than this device.
Reasons You Should Learn How to Recondition Old Batteries
- With the increase in battery usage both in our homes and cars; there has never been a better time to learn this skill. Sure, I am aware of your objection that batteries contain potentially harmful chemicals. I agree that that is a very valid objection, but please consider, If you follow the proper safety procedures, and take some sensible precautions this shouldn’t cause you any problems. In addition, consider if you have the proper information, its so safe you can do the procedures in your home.
- You can pick up batteries to work on for free. The main reason behind that could be in many areas you may actually get charged for safely disposing of seemingly dead batteries. In addition many people do not know these batteries can be restored to a like new condition.
- Batteries are expensive, you will save yourself a fortune if you recondition old ones. Especially if you are thinking of home renewable energy projects or electric car power, both of which are becoming more and more popular. As well as the fact you will be able to make some money selling restored batteries for much less than a new one would cost!
- You will be doing your bit to save the environment. By prolonging the life of these old batteries you keep them out of landfill sites for longer.
- You will learn a skill that will only increase in demand in the future. Within all of the above info lies a first rate set of reasons in favor of providing this battery service for yourself and others. What do You think?
Steps to Make Profit From Reconditioning Old Batteries
EZ Battery Reconditioning is the step-by-step battery reconditioning program that teaches you how to recondition old batteries and make profit from them. By following just 4 steps you will able to examine any dead battery, restores its life and make profit by selling it to individuals and organizations.
Collecting Tool For Recondition Old Battery
Without right tools you are not able to recondition dead batteries this is why in the first step you are able to learn which tools you need to recondition old batteries. Tom Ericson has provided list of different tools that you need to recondition old battery. These tools will help you in examining old batteries and reconditioning them.
Examining Old Batteries
It is impossible to recondition each and every old battery. Some dead batteries can’t be reconditioned doesn’t matter how hard you try. This is reason Tom Ericson will tell you simple steps that you can use to find if you are able to recondition the battery or not.
Recondition Old Batteries
This step is important because you will get two different methods to recondition old batteries. It is important to use recondition method of your battery type. In this step you will get step-by-step instruction along with diagram that will make easy for you to recondition old batteries
Sell It To Make Profit
By reconditioning old batteries, you can save lot of money annually. Additionally, you don’t have to purchase new battery every time. Tom Ericson has also provide free “Battery Business Guide” that will show you how to setup your battery recondition business.